Written by Contributing Writer, William Ballard
Subject: Name of Jesus (Two F Words Religion Won't Use)
Speaker: Senior Pastor Brent Calhoun (Sunday: 3PM)
James 2:8 (KJV)
8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
James 2:17 (KJV)
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
James 2:19 (KJV)
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
James 2:24 (KJV)
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
From Pastor's Notes:
God Created Man
- Man must not see himself as the master.
- Man was created by God in His image.
- Man was created righteous and Holy.
- God has angles that bow down and call Him Holy, Holy, Holy.
- God could have created us as angles, but He created man a little less than the angels.
- God created you in the image of God, we are called the bride of Christ.
- Jesus is offering you and I a relationship with the King of kings.
David and Saul (Understanding Authority)
We find King Saul offering sacrifices that only a priest was allowed to offer. When Saul became King he overstepped his authority with works!
1 Samuel 13:14 (KJV)
But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.
Samuel went to the house of Jesse and anointed David as King.
This little ruddy faced kid understood something about authority!
Saul calls for David to come to the Palace and play for him because Saul was troubled.
Saul didn't understand but the anointing now rested on David.
If you are anointed your anointing will bring you to the place of your calling.
David had the anointing, but chose to play and submit to King Saul.
1 Samuel 16:21 (KJV)
21 And David came to Saul, and stood before him: and he loved him greatly; and he became his armourbearer.
- Philistines gathered together their armies to battle.
- So David's older brothers were called to battle in the front lines.
1 Samuel 17:15 (KJV)
15 But David went and returned from Saul to feed his father's sheep at Bethlehem.
After 40 days David was once again sent to the place of his calling, this time as a servant bringing bread to his brothers.
As David comes into the camp, the giant begins to taunt God's people.
1 Samuel 17:24 (KJV)
24 And all the men of Israel, when they saw the man, fled from him, and were sore afraid.
- David's brothers were upset at him, they thought he should have stayed home.
1 Samuel 17:29 (KJV)
29 And David said, What have I now done? Is there not a cause?
Then David turned to another, and another, and another and repeated, "Is there not a cause"?
That's when Saul heard David was in the camp and called for him.
David did not see a giant, he saw an uncircumcised Philistine (sinner). (When we are writing the check out of God's account we have faith).
David was a man after God's own heart.
David never once used his anointing as a means of promoting himself, when you have the anointing your calling will open by itself.
1 Samuel 18:2 (KJV)
2 And Saul took him that day, and would let him go no more home to his father's house.
- David always showed Saul honor as his King.
We find David was not perfect but he understood his need of having the Anointing of God.
- David kept a strong relationship with the Prophet and always showed honor and respect to Gods voice to him.
- David the King humbled himself and submitted to the Prophet.
- This was the order set by God and Saul thought he could bypass God's order.
David understood God's order (Psalms 8:3-9)
- When I consider thy heavens, the work of they fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
- What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
- For thou hast made him a little lower than the angles, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
- Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
- O LORD our Lord, how excellent is they name in all the earth!
Let's Jump ahead and look at that Name
Jesus began to question the disciples about who people thought he was.
- Peter said you are the anointed Messiah, you are the son of supreme deity.
Matthew 16:16 (KJV)
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Matthew 16:18 (KJV)
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Matthew 16:19 (KJV)
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Matthew 16:20 (KJV)
20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
That's why in Acts chapter 2...
Acts 2:14 (KJV)
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
Acts 2:21 (KJV)
21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Acts 2:29 (KJV)
29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
Acts 2:36 (KJV)
36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Psalm 8:4 (KJV)
4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
Psalm 8:9 (KJV)
9 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!
- From Adam to Jesus the children of Israel only believed on One God.
- The devil believes in one God and trembles.
- Peter stands before all that dwell at Jerusalem and proclaims.
- The Lord that our patriarch David served, was that same Jesus that you crucified, Jesus was both Lord and Christ.
- Acts. 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know, God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
- They were probably a little scared, they were convicted and asked Peter and the brethren, How must we be saved?
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Authority of Jesus
Mark 1:22 (KJV)
22 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.
Acts 4:12 (KJV)
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
- Have you been a Saul or a David?
- Saul thought it would be ok to offer sacrifices, after all God should be pleased, right? Wrong!
- David put his confidence in God, David refused to go against the order of God.
- They will say they cast out demons in His Name, they will do great works in His Name...
- But He will say I never knew you.
We can understand authority but refuse to summit, like the children of Israel, staring at the Glory of God, Moses had to put a veil over his face because the Israelites couldn't look at the glory of God that he experienced.
- 2 Corinthians 3:14 (KJV) But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
- When Jesus was crucified the veil in the temple was rent form top to bottom.
- Neither is there salvation in any other.
- There is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
- When you receive His Name in Baptism, and you are filled with His Spirit we begin to walk with a glow, the Glory of God in us and that is walking in newness life, or Paul said newness of spirit.
David was practicing the Royal Law before Jesus even said it, David was a man after God's own heart!
- James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified and not by faith only.
- How is your lamp?
- Mosses had to put a veil over his face, how about you, how bright is your Holy Ghost?
- I ask each one here today, if Jesus comes today will you be ready?
- Would you need a day or 2 to get ready?
- If Jesus decides to weigh you in the balance today, will you be found wanting?
- If you were to stand before the judgement seat today, is there anything that you would want to take care of first?
- You say pastor I don't think this is wrong, or I think the Bible is old fashioned and this does not apply!
- I'm ok with you taking the chance, I promise not to kill you but are you sure you are willing to gamble?
- Matt. 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
- We will be judged by the Word.
Matthew 7:13 (KJV)
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Matthew 7:14 (KJV)
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Ye should know them by their fruits.
Matt. 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit;
Matt. 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Matt. 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.